It’s reported that the building was being constructed as It is unclear how many were inside when it fell, but people were feared to be trapped. The local media said that at least 50 people might be under the rubble including the building owner.
The search operation has been continuing since Monday night while the residents of the nearby buildings have been evacuated. The witnesses said the building was destroyed “floor by floor”.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) reported the five deaths so far in a Facebook post.
According to the preliminary investigation, there could be a violation of constructed safety rules.
The building construction rules and conditions are often slammed in Nigeria. The collapses are not uncommon in Lagos city with a population of around 20 million people. In 2019, the two buildings also collapsed, including the school, more than 20 people were found dead.
In 2014, a building fell during service by a Nigerian religious celebrity, killing 116 people.