Eastern Europe

Ceasefire accepted as 3 Armenian soldiers killed in gunfire with Azerbaijan

11:53, 28 July 2021
Ceasefire accepted as 3 Armenian soldiers killed in gunfire with Azerbaijan Photo: ՀՀ պաշտպանության նախարարություն / MoD of the Republic of Armenia/facebook.com

Armenia and Azerbaijan accepted the Russian ceasefire proposal after Armenian Defense Ministry reported on Wednesday that three of its soldiers had been killed, two injured in an exchange of gunfire with the other side.


"On July 28 after the attack initiated by the Azerbaijani Armed Forces, as of 08:30, the Armenian side has three victims, two more servicemen are wounded," the Armenian Ministry of Defense said in a statement.

Armenia reported that its positions have been as the fighting pursued near the border between the two countries.

"The Azerbaijani subdivisions, which launched an attack in the direction of the Armenian positions, as of 09:20, suffering losses, were thrown back to their starting positions. The firefight continues," the Armenian military continued.

On its part, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry accused Armenian forces of what it called committing "provocations" in the Kalbajar region along the border.

"The Armenian armed forces units from the combat positions located in various directions in the territory of the Basarkechar region using small arms and grenade launchers have once again subjected to fire the positions of the Azerbaijan Army in the territory of the Kalbajar region," Azerbaijan said in a statement, adding that "Armenia bears full responsibility for the escalation of tensions along the state border between the two countries."

Two Azerbaijani servicemen were wounded and received immediate medical help. As the clashes continued, no material damages have been reported from both sides.

"The Azerbaijan Army Units took relevant steps to neutralize the firing points of the opposing side," said the Azerbaijan ministry.

The situation in the Armenian-Azerbaijani border reportedly remained stable.

Despite both sides accepted the ceasefire, Baku claimed that Erevan "does not comply with the ceasefire requirements."

"We accepted Russia’s initiative to declare a ceasefire on the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border starting from 10:00 Baku time. In spite of this, the Armenian side continues to aggravate the situation and shell our positions additionally using tanks and 120 mm mortars," Azerbaijani MoD said later on Wednesday.

This was the deadliest incident since a six-week war between Erevan and Baku forces over the Nagorno-Karabakh region ended last year. On July 14 one Armenian soldier died, an Azerbaijani soldier was injured in a shootout on the border.

The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict escalated in 2020. The fighting stopped with a Russian-brokered ceasefire agreement on November 10, in accordance with which Azerbaijan was reunited with some territories lost in the previous conflicts, and the process of exchanging war prisoners began.