Sports

Football legend Pele says he is feeling well after surgery

13:30, 07 September 2021
Football legend Pele says he is feeling well after surgery

The Brazilian striker had been diagnosed with a colon tumor and underwent surgery on Saturday.


Edson Arantes do Nascimento commonly known as Pele has successfully undergone surgery in Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Last Tuesday doctors detected a tumor on the right side of the colon of the 80-year-old former striker.

One of the greatest football players in history was operated on Saturday and released yesterday a statement addressing fans and providing details.

"I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr. Fabio and Dr. Miguel to take care of my health. On Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumor was identified during the tests last week.”

The tests were routine and no one expected to find a serious issue.

"Fortunately, I'm used to celebrating great victories alongside you. I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends."

The Brazilian player scored more than 1,000 goals during his career. He is the only man to win three World Cup trophies (1958, 1962, 1970) and shares the prize of FIFA Player of the Century with Diego Maradona.

Pele’s recent health problems have been widely spotlighted in the Brazilian press leading to an appearance of different rumors. In 2017 he was captured in a wheelchair, while in 2019 the Brazilian had a serious urinary tract infection and underwent surgery to have the kidney stones removed.