Sports

Pelé’s daughter says he is ready to leave hospital and recover at home

16:46, 30 September 2021
Pelé’s daughter says he is ready to leave hospital and recover at home Photo: Panoramic/Global Look Press

Kely Nascimento announced on Wednesday that the Brazilian football legend will receive treatment at home for one month.


One of the greatest football players of all time Pelé is going to return home to proceed with his post-surgery recovery. The announcement was made by his daughter, Kely, on her Instagram account.

“Now that he's stronger and leaving the hospital to continue recovering and treating himself at home, I'm going back home.”

Kely, who does not live in Brazil, has urged her followers to follow the official pages of her father and her sister who will occasionally post photos of the Brazilian legend.

The official date has not been specified, but Pelé is expected to quit Hospital Albert Einstein in Sao Paulo on Thursday according to AFP. However, the hospital’s representatives have not confirmed the information about the departure of the 80-year-old former footballer.

At the beginning of September, the three-time world champion underwent surgery after he had been diagnosed with a colon tumor. He later shared that he was feeling fine and promised to face life’s challenges together with his supporters and with a smile on his face.

Therefore, Pelé will be able to celebrate his 81st anniversary on October 23 at home surrounded by his relatives.

Pelé’s health problems have been spotlighted in the Brazilian media which resulted in an appearance of various rumors. In 2017 he was captured in a wheelchair, while in 2019 the former striker had a grave urinary tract infection and underwent surgery to have the kidney stones removed.

The Brazilian scored more than 1,000 goals during his career and is the only man to win three World Cup trophies.