United States

Miami condo demolished before arrival of potential storm (VIDEO)

11:48, 05 July 2021
Miami condo demolished before arrival of potential storm (VIDEO)

The remaining part of a collapsed building in South Florida has been demolished with explosives, it took down the unstable structure in seconds. Such a decision was made because the remaining part of the collapsed building was unstable and forecasters reported about the upcoming tropical storm Elsa, which might have put all the rescuers in danger due to the strong winds in the area. The crew temporarily stopped their operation.


The demolition took place at 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, after all the residents in nearby buildings were warned about dust and polluted air, residents were also recommended to stay indoors and shut all the windows. Thus the rescuers can proceed searching for those who are possibly under the debris pile. 

“Our top priority is bringing down this building,” Mayor Daniella Levine Cava of Miami-Dade County said on Sunday. “As soon as the building does come down, when the site has been deemed secure, and we are given the all clear, our search and rescue teams will immediately resume their operations,” she said.

Before the structure was brought down, even a drone with a thermal image circled the building to spot any animals who could have been inside.

Officials had previously said that the continuing of the rescue operation could have resumed within 15 minutes to an hour right after the detonation.

"We are standing by. We are ready to go in, no matter the time of night," Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.

"I truly believe … that the family members recognise and appreciate that we are proceeding in the best possible fashion to allow us to do the search that we need to do," she said.

The rescue crew found 24 bodies and 121 people are still missing after the terrifying collapse that took place on June 24.