United States

Walmart raises alert after 2 died from air freshener

18:21, 27 October 2021
Walmart raises alert after 2 died from air freshener Photo: Wu Xiaoling/Xinhua

Walmart attempted to inform all those who have bought an air freshener which turned out to have deadly bacteria about the potential danger.


At least 2 people have already died from it. 

“Our sympathies go out to the four families that have been impacted by this situation,” the company said in a statement. 

“Customer safety is always a top priority and as part of the recall we proactively put plans in action to notify customers and prevent further product sales while federal agencies continue their investigation,” it added.

 Nearly 4000 of the air fresheners which killed two people were recalled by the company from 55 stores across 18 states.

The air freshener which is thought to have caused the deaths is Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray.

The bacteria in the bottles turned out to cause Whitmore's disease which is hardly diagnosed and in most cases fatal.

A rise in cases of the disease has been reported in Georgia, Kansas, Texas and Minnesota.

“In addition, the company is sending letters to another 263 customers with no email address on record and placing calls to a small number of other customers with no available email or physical address,” the company said.

“It is important that these products be handled correctly and returned to Walmart,” the company said. “Walmart will provide a full refund and offer a $20 gift card for any inconvenience,” it added.